Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Eating Customs

Recently, i spent a week in Virginia participating in some software training. Since i was not able to cook my own meals, i was compelled (oh the horror!) to visit a number of the local restaurants. It might not surprise you to know that, for dinner, i had Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Japanese, and Italian (for lunch, i had leftovers, Chik-Fil-A because i can't get it in Portland, and Chinese to help fill out my Asian tour. i also almost had Korean BBQ instead of Italian (it was just across the street)). i have to tell you, it is kind of weird being the only customer in a large restaurant as the employees lounge around and 2004's Top 10 Indian Romance Music Videos plays on the televisions adorning the walls.

My Indian experience made me wonder what customs i was violating/profaning. What am i supposed to do with my left hand when i'm not using? Is there a certain order that i should eat my dishes? Is it acceptable to use my fingers? i really have no idea, and that applies to all the restaurants i went to (the Italian place less so). i'm glad that the people who run the restaurants are gracious and understand that i'm not really offending the honor of their wives when i mix my rice with my curry.

0 unique comments: